Acetylene Gas for Welding, Cutting, Heating and Brazing
is one of the popular fuel gases used in welding, cutting, heating and brazing. An acetylene gas plant is used for onsite acetylene gas generations for oxy-welding and numerous other applications. It is also called gas welding that is applied for joining of metals by using the heat generated by the oxy-acetylene flame. On mixing acetylene gas with just the right percentage of oxygen is able to generate a flame temperature of 5700-5800°F, which is really very hot. This much heat will no doubt cause any of the metals including steel, copper, cast iron, etc, to melt and fuse in such a way that the strength of the fusion point will match the metal fused.
On the other hand, the oxy-fuel is just as efficient in cutting of the metal. However, it is worth mentioning that cutting with oxy fuel process is entirely different than welding. It is achieved by preheating the metal with oxygen and acetylene and then cutting away the preheated metal. It is facilitated by oxidizing properties of oxygen. It must be kept in mind oxy-fuels will be able to cut only those metals that can be oxidized at this temperature. It is effective on low alloy steel and mild steel. In usual applications, one can see oxy-fuel processes being used in the cutting, welding, binding, metalizing], fusion welding, soldering and brazing.
Properties of Acetylene
Fuel gases like acetylene require oxygen for supporting combustion. All fuel gases when burned in combination with oxygen are characterized by the properties described below:
- Flame with high temperature
- Sufficient level of heat
- High level of flame propagation
- Least reaction of the fuel gas with the metal
It must be clear by now that amongst the commercial fuel gases it is only the acetylene gas which meets all the conditions mentioned above. There is no denying the fact that acetylene is a hydrocarbon just as most of the gasoline and fuel oils. Chemically, it is made up of two carbons and two hydrogen atoms. It is an important property of acetylene is that it can be ignited it comprises 2.5 percent to 80 per cent.
- Being a hydrocarbon, acetylene is known for burning in two stages-primary combustion zone and secondary combustion zone.
- It is a colorless gas with a pungent odor and is highly combustible when it is mixed with oxygen.
- Acetylene is generated when calcium carbide is reacted with water having chemical formula of C2H2.
- The fuel gas has a neutral temperature of 5420°F at one side of the cone which can be increased to 5800°F by pushing more oxygen into the torch flame.
- Advantage of using oxy-acetylene process is that it does not require use of electricity.
- Acetylene generators are portable and easy to transport.
- Rate of heat output and weld zone can be controlled by the welders.
- Oxy-acetylene process is effective in small pipes and sheet welding.
- Also used in repairing, maintenance and body shops.
- It can also weld together metals which are different.
- Widely applied for metal cutting, preheating annealing, brazing, etc.
Acetylene is a fuel gas which is widely used in various manufacturing and industrial processes. It is a hydrocarbon chemically represented as C2H2. There are two methods for producing acetylene-chemical reaction and thermal cracking. However, we manufacture and provide acetylene machinery that use a chemical reaction process, which uses calcium carbide as the raw material, made by mixing lime and lime coke in a blast furnace. In the process employed in our acetylene generation system calcium carbide is reacted with water to produce acetylene gas, calcium hydroxide and heat. This is formulated in a chemically as CaC2 + 2H2O → C2H2 + Ca (OH) 2.
Acetylene Flow Rate: 15Nm3/hr to 200Nm3/hr-
We use standard size of 25 to 50MM as it is best suited for production of acetylene gas. The size will definitely influence the performance.
Carbide Size (Standard): 25 to 50 MM-
We manufacture acetylene generator with capacity ranging from 15 m3/hr to 300 m3/hr. The system can be customized to the requirements of clients.
Carbide required per Kg of acetylene: 3.3kg-
Average requirement of acetylene production in our generator is 3.3kg which depends on the quality of carbide.
If you are looking for suitable acetylene production equipment for your manufacturing processes, get in touch with us by filling the contact form or call us. Our sales team will contact you within 24 hours.